Monday 6 May 2013

Blue Cliveden


I've been visiting Cliveden since I was a small child, so I’m thrilled that my three young children get as much as I did and still do from this amazing setting. But hey, what’s not to like? Woodland, river, formal gardens, sculpture, great architecture, history, pond gardens, maze, secret paths, wildlife, play parks, picnic areas, not forgetting cappuccino and ice cream. No wonder it’s the flagship attraction for the National Trust.

Cliveden - southerly view of the house from the bluebell woods 


As a family we are frequent visitors, and often find ourselves in the woodland to the south of the main house, where they have recently constructed ‘Clive’s Den,’ (you see what they did there, brilliant!) a simple and somewhat impromptu wood structure that my children believe they have conquered as their own.

Today, a bank holiday, sun shining, everyone quite rightly had the same idea to make this there destination. Directed to the temporary overfill car park we immediately set off to the fitness trail in the woods and the ‘children’s’ den. ‘Daddy, daddy, come quickly, look the ground’s gone blue’, well aware of the awaiting azure carpet that would greet us, I’m still astounded by the natural beauty of this sight and delighted that my four year old first experience of this view was equally exciting. 

The ground has gone blue!

Tulip 'Mount Tacoma' & forget-me-not
Check out the Woodland Trust for great info on bluebells.

With our escarpment decent (steep path) to the river walk and seemingly endless step climb back the main house lawns successfully accomplished, we had deservedly earned our picnic lunch beside the formal gardens displaying perfect white ‘Mount Tacoma’ tulips rising from the unmistakable blue of ‘forget-me-nots’, very striking.

Great flower staking



En route to the maze, pond and playground we crossed through the house gardens. The border displays are in very early growth, but I was inspired by the simple and good looking natural staking, that will eventually support the stunning summer blooms. Also spotted a prominent Rhododendron augustinii.

Rhododendron Augustinii


Purples and blues are definitely my favourite spring colours this week! 




No comments:

Post a Comment